Fresh Fruit Trifle
One of Catherine Katz's favorite recipes is this beautiful Holiday Trifle. Not only is it delicious, but it is absolutely spectacular when placed on the table. This healthy yet delectable dessert is a perfect way to 'trade-up' during the holidays – or during any season!
Ingredients - two 9" layers
- 3 cups dry white wine
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour*
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 4 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350 and lightly "grease" two 9 inch pans with canola oil.
- Heat the wine in a saucepan over low heat until the liquid is reduced to 1 cup. let cool
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the egg, sugar, vanilla and oil and beat until smooth. Stir in the wine.
- Add the pastry flour, baking powder and mix until well blended.
- In a separate bowl whip the egg whites until stiff.
- Gently fold the whites into the batter. Divide the batter between the 2 pans.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Meanwhile in a medium saucepan, combine ½ cup of sugar with ¾ cup water and bring to a boil then let simmer for a few minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in ½ cup rum and let cool.
Assembling the Trifle:
- 3 cups lowfat organic vanilla yogurt
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 3 kiwis (sliced)
- 1 pint of blueberries
- 1 pint of raspberries
When ready to assemble, place a layer of vanilla yogurt at the bottom of the trifle bowl, then gently place one cake on top. Spoon half of the rum glaze over it and let it absorb for a minute. Arrange the fresh fruit (one layer of the same fruit at a time) around the cake (there will be a little space between the cake and the side of the bowl so that the fruit is displayed neatly all around against the glass of the bowl not on top of the cake). Then pour another layer of vanilla yogurt and place the second cake on top. Pour the remaining rum glaze over the cake, let it absorb for a minute. Arrange another layer of fruit around the cake as you did before, alternating with each fruit. Finish with a layer of vanilla yogurt and place remaining fruit on top, arranged however you'd like so that it is beautifully displayed. Chill for several hours and serve. BON APPETIT!
Note: Depending on the size of your trifle bowl you may need to add more fruit and yogurt. It's more of a "feel" and one can never have enough fresh fruit!
Opting for desserts (such as this Trifle) which are lower in sugar and calories, as well as loaded with healthy ingredients such as fresh fruit, is one of the most effective means to maintain a healthy diet and enjoy delicious treats during this tempting time of the year. There is no reason to deprive yourself (and risk over-indulging) when nutritious, delicious choices are readily available.